French Onion Soup
4 made it | 0 reviews |
"An authentic and warming recipe for French onion soup, complete with slices of baguette and topped with cheese. Enjoy!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 21 m servings 174
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add onions; cook, stirring constantly, until golden, 15 to 30 minutes. Add water; cover and cook until onions are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour into the saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, until onions are coated, about 5 minutes. Pour in chicken stock and 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon white wine; season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently until flavors combine, about 20 minutes.
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Toast baguette slices until very crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Divide slices among 6 oven-safe soup bowls. Ladle soup on top. Sprinkle Gruyère cheese over each bowl.
- Transfer bowls to the preheated oven; broil until cheese is melted and bubbly, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Do as the French do and remove the inner core of the onions before slicing. The French believe this makes the onion easier to digest.
- Substitute Comté cheese for the Gruyere if desired.
Per Serving: 174 calories; 9.6 14.6 5.5 26 1053 Full nutrition