Pork and Shiitake Mushroom Ragu
Cindy Anschutz Barbieri
"Italian, paleo, omg, ragù! This was simply amazing. We are at our lake house for the summer and our friends came over. I had a super busy day and while at the butcher deciding what to make, the pork butt looked amazing. I did serve this dish with a creamy polenta. I am Italian! What can I say... if you want to keep it paleo, then serve with sauteed vegetables or sauteed garlic spinach (I do that a lot). This freezes well and taste even better the next day! You can also prepare this meal in your slow cooker."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h servings 299
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Season pork with kosher salt and pepper.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add oil. Stir pork into the hot oil and cooking, turning often with tongs, until pork is evenly browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Pour chicken broth over the pork and scrape any brown bits of food off the bottom of the Dutch oven using a wooden spoon; stir in garlic, Italian seasoning, and bay leaves.
- Mix tomatoes and tomato paste into pork mixture, stirring and pressing paste along the side of the Dutch oven to help dissolve it. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir, cover, and cook for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove Dutch oven from heat and shred pork into the tomato sauce using 2 forks. Add mushrooms; cover and simmer for 1 hour more. Remove bay leaves.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Coconut oil can be used in place of the olive oil, if desired.
- If you have a hard time shredding the pork in the Dutch oven, remove to a bowl then shred and return to pan.
Per Serving: 299 calories; 19.6 10.5 20.2 67 429 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1