Baek Kimchi (Korean White Non-Spicy Kimchi)
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 d 13 h 10 m servings 52
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Dissolve 1/2 cup coarse salt in a large bowl of water. Submerge cabbage in the salted water and let soak, 12 to 24 hours. Drain. Rinse well and drain, squeezing out excess water.
- Soak jujube in a small bowl of water for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, pit, and cut into thin slices.
- Combine 1/2 cup water, salted shrimp, scallions, garlic, and ginger in a food processor; puree until smooth.
- Pour puree into a large bowl; add jujube, radish, chestnuts, pear, carrots, red chile pepper, green chile pepper, brown sugar, and 2 teaspoon salt. Stir in remaining 5 cups water. Mix in cabbage until well coated.
- Pack cabbage mixture into an airtight jar. Pour in any liquid left in the bowl.
- Seal and let sit at room temperature until starting to ferment, 1 to 2 days. Transfer to the refrigerator.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute apple for the pear if desired.
- Substitute dates for the jujube if preferred.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of salt. The actual amount of salt consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 52 calories; 0.3 11.3 1.8 2 4201 Full nutrition