Sabrina's Spooky Graveyard Cake
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 603
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). (If using a countertop induction oven, preheat to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C)). Spray a 9x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Sift flour, sugar, and salt together in a bowl.
- Pour water into a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Melt 1 cup butter in a saucepan over low heat; whisk in 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Pour in boiling water; simmer until cocoa powder is thinned, about 30 seconds. Pour butter mixture into the flour mixture; stir batter gently to cool.
- Combine buttermilk, eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and baking soda in a measuring cup. Pour the buttermilk mixture into the batter; whisk until thoroughly blended. Pour into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven, turning the pan half way through, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes in the conventional oven and 22 minutes in the countertop induction oven. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan over low heat; whisk in 1/4 cup cocoa powder. Turn off heat. Whisk in confectioners' sugar, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until smooth; pour over cake.
- Blend chocolate sandwich cookies in a blender to make fine crumbs; sprinkle over icing. Cool until frosting is set, about 20 minutes.
- Press 4 rectangular cookies into the cake to create a row of tombstones; repeat with remaining cookies to create 4 rows of 4 cookies each. Add yogurt covered raisins to represent rocks. Press gummy worms into the cake until partially submerged.
- Cook's Note:
- I recommend using parchment paper or generously greasing the pan before baking.
Per Serving: 603 calories; 25.7 90.6 6.5 70 468 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
This was a fun cake to make with my daughter, although I didn't care for the flavor and texture of the cake. I thought it was underwhelming and it took longer to make as directed. The icing was ...
The kids and I had so much fun with this one! I made this into 2 smaller round cakes so that we could give one to their cousins. The cake was nice, though dense, with a good chocolate flavor. We...