Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings 751 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 9-inch layer cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9-inch baking pans.
- Beat 1/2 cup margarine and shortening in a bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Beat in sugar. Beat in egg yolks until smooth.
- Combine flour and baking soda in a bowl. Add to the margarine mixture in batches, alternating with buttermilk, until batter is smooth. Mix in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; add pecans and coconut.
- Beat egg whites with clean beaters in a glass, metal, or ceramic bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold into the batter. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes; invert onto a cooling rack. Cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup margarine in a bowl until smooth; stir in confectioners' sugar. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until frosting is combined.
- Spread frosting onto the cooled cake layers. Stack cakes; frost top and sides.
- Cook's Note:
- Walnuts can be substituted for the pecans if desired.
Per Serving: 751 calories; 38.9 g fat; 95.7 g carbohydrates; 8.2 g protein; 99 mg cholesterol; 374 mg sodium. Full nutrition