Italian Cream Cake
0 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 781
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 9-inch layer cake)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease three 9-inch round cake pans and line with waxed paper.
- Mix flour and baking soda together in a small bowl.
- Beat 1/2 cup butter and lard together in a bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Add sugar; beat until smooth. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beating batter briefly after each addition.
- Fold 1 cup pecans, coconut, and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract into the batter.
- Beat egg whites with clean beaters in a glass, metal, or ceramic bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter. Divide batter among prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in pans, about 5 minutes. Invert cakes onto cooling racks; let cool completely, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter in a bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Add confectioners' sugar and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract; beat frosting until smooth.
- Spread a thin layer of frosting between cooled cake layers. Frost sides and top of cake. Sprinkle 1/2 cup pecans on top.
- Cook's Note:
- If frosting seems too thick in step 7, add a little milk.
Per Serving: 781 calories; 42.2 95.2 8.3 128 509 Full nutrition
How can I make my cakes moist?
Why do my cakes fall?
My cakes do not rise evenly – they are tall in the middle, and slope down to the sides. What am I doing wrong?
Ask Your Question