Ingredients2 h 33 m servings 405
- Melt butter in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrot, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning; cook and stir until flavors combine, about 5 minutes. Push vegetable mixture to the sides and add chicken; cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Pour enough water over the chicken to cover by 3 inches; bring to a boil. Stir, scraping the browned bits off of the bottom of the pot. Reduce heat; simmer until chicken is tender, about 1 hour. Transfer chicken and carrots to a serving plate with a large slotted spoon; let cool.
- Ladle 1/4 cup cooking liquid into a bowl; cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Mix in 2 tablespoons flour. Stir back into the pot.
- Place 2 cups flour in a large bowl; cut in shortening with 2 knives until mixture forms pea-sized bits. Mix in chilled chicken broth until dough is combined.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Knead 5 to 6 times; pat down to 1-inch thickness. Sprinkle lightly with flour; roll out to about 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough into squares with a sharp knife.
- Drop squares, in batches, into simmering cooking liquid, moving squares to the side with each addition. Partially cover pot; simmer until dumplings are firm, about 12 minutes. Separate any dumplings that stick together. Remove from heat; keep covered.
- Bone chicken; cut into bite-sized pieces and return to the pot. Chop carrot; return to the pot. Cool chicken and dumplings, about 30 minutes, before serving.
- Cook's Note:
- Chicken thighs or legs can be substituted for the chicken breasts if desired. If using only chicken thighs or legs, reduce the butter to 2 tablespoons.
Per Serving: 405 calories; 19.3 28.4 27.9 83 718 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
Love love love this! I have searched for a good chicken and dumpling recipe for years. This one was like sitting down at my moms dinner table. I used thighs and drumsticks and tripled the carro...
This is the most amazing chicken and dumplings I’ve ever ate
Pretty good but I would like it a bit thicker. I added a can of cream of chicken soup to it to thicken it up a little. I thought about using some instant potatoes to help thicken it but I didn...
Oh so good. Like what my grandma used to make. I lost my wafer dumpling recipe in one of our relocations so I came here looking hoping I would get lucky and there was a nice person who posted on...
This is AMAZING!!! My kids love an old family recipe of chicken and dumplings but I don’t have it. This tastes exactly like it. Thank you for sharing
Outstanding quick and easy apple pies, love it. Made two to share with family, everyone loved it.
This is the best chicken and dumplings recipe I have found on this sits! Tastes just like mom’s!
Best chicken & dumplings I've had in sooooo long. I love these rolled dumplings and this is the perfect recipe. Cook up nice and dense but not doughy.