Ingredients2 h 33 m servings 405
- Melt butter in a stock pot over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrot, onion, garlic, bay leaves, thyme, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning; cook and stir until flavors combine, about 5 minutes. Push vegetable mixture to the sides and add chicken; cook until browned, 3 to 5 minutes per side.
- Pour enough water over the chicken to cover by 3 inches; bring to a boil. Stir, scraping the browned bits off of the bottom of the pot. Reduce heat; simmer until chicken is tender, about 1 hour. Transfer chicken and carrots to a serving plate with a large slotted spoon; let cool.
- Ladle 1/4 cup cooking liquid into a bowl; cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Mix in 2 tablespoons flour. Stir back into the pot.
- Place 2 cups flour in a large bowl; cut in shortening with 2 knives until mixture forms pea-sized bits. Mix in chilled chicken broth until dough is combined.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Knead 5 to 6 times; pat down to 1-inch thickness. Sprinkle lightly with flour; roll out to about 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough into squares with a sharp knife.
- Drop squares, in batches, into simmering cooking liquid, moving squares to the side with each addition. Partially cover pot; simmer until dumplings are firm, about 12 minutes. Separate any dumplings that stick together. Remove from heat; keep covered.
- Bone chicken; cut into bite-sized pieces and return to the pot. Chop carrot; return to the pot. Cool chicken and dumplings, about 30 minutes, before serving.
- Cook's Note:
- Chicken thighs or legs can be substituted for the chicken breasts if desired. If using only chicken thighs or legs, reduce the butter to 2 tablespoons.
Per Serving: 405 calories; 19.3 28.4 27.9 83 718 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
Love love love this! I have searched for a good chicken and dumpling recipe for years. This one was like sitting down at my moms dinner table. I used thighs and drumsticks and tripled the carro...
This is the most amazing chicken and dumplings I’ve ever ate
Pretty good but I would like it a bit thicker. I added a can of cream of chicken soup to it to thicken it up a little. I thought about using some instant potatoes to help thicken it but I didn...
This is the best chicken and dumplings recipe I have found on this sits! Tastes just like mom’s!
Best chicken & dumplings I've had in sooooo long. I love these rolled dumplings and this is the perfect recipe. Cook up nice and dense but not doughy.
Really good flavor. I also added cream of chicken to help thicken more. Will definitely keep this one!!