Ingredients1 h 35 m servings 381 cals
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Mix butter, garlic, thyme, rosemary, lemon zest, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper together in a bowl.
- Loosen skin on chicken breast; rub butter mixture between skin and breast meat. Press on the skin to distribute evenly. Rub oil, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper all over; place lemon halves inside cavity. Set in a baking pan.
- Roast in the preheated oven, basting after 30 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink, about 1 hour. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone, should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Let rest before carving, about 15 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- I like to let the chicken rest in the refrigerator for a few hours or a full day after placing the herb butter under the skin to let the flavors mingle.
- Basting really enhances the color and flavor and creates nice drippings for a gravy.
Per Serving: 381 calories; 27.1 g fat; 3 g carbohydrates; 31.1 g protein; 117 mg cholesterol; 536 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
This is the way I've always made my roasted chicken. I think you can't beat the flavors of rosemary, garlic, thyme, lemon, S &P, and butter. Please remember that the size of your chicken will...
Loved it!! I've tried several different roasted chicken recipes and this was easy to follow and comes out perfect every time..
Turned out wonderfully. I made a gravy using the drippings 1/4 cup flour and 2 cups of broth and it was amazing! My chicken was 5 lbs and took about an hour and 15 minutes. My daughter wouldn't ...
Delicious! I was out of lemons but I did have some zest frozen for that part. I substituted stuffing the bird with onions instead of lemons. Also I had the fresh rosemary but only dried thyme...
I only added a smudge of garlic butter on top of the chicken the last 15 mins of roasting for a flavorful, crispy skin.
This is the best chicken I have ever eaten. I made it exactly as written. You will not be disappointed with this recipe. It is the only recipe I will use in the future and I am thinking it ma...