Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 6 m servings 183 cals
Original recipe yields 40 servings
- Combine 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar in a saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil; stir until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium; add lime juice. Simmer until flavors combine, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir 1 teaspoon vanilla extract into the syrup; let cool.
- Stir 2 cups water, 1 cup sugar, vegetable oil, and salt together in a pot over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Add flour; stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until batter forms into a ball. Cook until batter is shiny, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl; allow to cool, about 5 minutes.
- Flatten batter into the bottom of the bowl. Add eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; mix until batter is creamy. Pour into a cloth piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Heat corn oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat until bubbly; reduce heat to medium-low. Squeeze 2 inches of batter onto an oiled spatula and lower into the hot oil; repeat until saucepan is full. Cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer pastries to a paper bag to drain, about 30 seconds.
- Soak hot pastries in syrup; transfer to a plate to cool, about 5 minutes.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 183 calories; 14.3 g fat; 13.4 g carbohydrates; 1.1 g protein; 19 mg cholesterol; 37 mg sodium. Full nutrition