Paleo Mexican Pulled Pork
Ingredients9 h 17 m servings 251
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Halve Anaheim chile peppers lengthwise; remove the stem, seeds, and ribs. Place peppers cut-side down onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Cook in the preheated broiler until peppers are blackened and blistered, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and over tightly with plastic wrap. Let peppers steam as they cool, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard skins; chop flesh.
- Season pork with salt and black pepper.
- Heat bacon fat in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork; cook until browned, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer pork to a slow cooker. Pour in beef broth and coat pork with tomato paste. Add roasted chile pepper, onion, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, lime juice, garlic, cumin, oregano, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and bay leaf.
- Cook on Low until pork is tender, about 8 hours. Shred pork using 2 forks. Serve with avocados, cilantro, and lime wedges.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute beef tallow or lard for the bacon fat if desired.
- Substitute one 4-ounce can diced green chiles for the roasted anaheim chile peppers if desired.
Per Serving: 251 calories; 14.1 10.1 21.1 70 553 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
This was wonderful. I took two photos of this..one a paleo version the other. non paleo - served with corn crepes. Both ways were delicious. I forgot to buy a yellow pepper and had to use oil ...
This is delicious with just the right amount of spice! Followed recipe with only one substitution; used Trader Joe’s Green Hatch Chili Salsa, that is what I had on hand, instead of the Anaheim p...
This is terrific! We loved putting it together and being done for the day. The smell as it cooked was wonderful. The flavors are so good. Thanks for the recipe!