Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients5 h 2 m servings 239 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, parsley, basil, and garlic; cook and stir until onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add pork and beef neck bones; cook and stir until browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir crushed tomatoes slowly into the onion mixture; mix in salt, oregano, and bay leaves. Cook, covered, until flavors combine, about 2 1/2 hours. Stir in tomato paste; simmer uncovered until sauce thickens, about 2 hours.
- Cook's Notes:
- For a thicker sauce, substitute 1 can crushed tomatoes and 1 large can of tomato puree for the 2 cans crushed tomatoes.
- If doubling recipe, don't double bay leaves, just use 3.
- If sauce is too thick, add water. If tomatoes are sour or acidic, add more basil and a couple of large pinches of baking soda toward the end of cooking.
Per Serving: 239 calories; 15.5 g fat; 21.4 g carbohydrates; 7.9 g protein; 17 mg cholesterol; 1966 mg sodium. Full nutrition