Ingredients25 m servings 126
- Heat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Place flour in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until crumbs are the size of peas. Add buttermilk, stirring with fork just until flour is moistened.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently 5 to 6 times, just until a smooth dough is formed. Roll dough into a 7-inch circle that is 3/4- to 1-inch thick. Cut out 7 to 8 biscuits using a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter. Place on baking sheet, about 1-inch apart. (For softer biscuits, arrange so that edges almost touch.) Shape dough scraps into a ball. Pat out until 3/4-inch thick. Cut out additional biscuits.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Brush with butter, if desired.
- Substitution: You can substitute 2/3 cup milk for 3/4 cup buttermilk.
- Garlic Cheese Drop Biscuits:
- Stir in 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese before adding milk. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet. Bake as directed above. Combine 1/4 cup melted butter and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Brush on warm biscuits.
Per Serving: 126 calories; 6.1 15.4 1.9 6 263 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This is a great recipe! My fiancé says we should keep it around for holiday meals and I’m sure it would be excellent for breakfast biscuits, too. We’ll be having this one again!
yes--- now these are real biscuits--perfect recipe- thanks-- i cook on cast iron griddle at 425---update--made again at 475- done at 10 minute mark-- i made them bigger than normal(for me)- perf...