Chef John's Potato Gnocchi
Ingredients1 h servings 411
- Place potato in microwave and cook on high setting until cooked through, about 7 minutes depending on the size of the potato.
- Split potato and remove flesh. Push flesh through strainer using the back of a wooden spoon in order to achieve a granular texture. Add a pinch of salt and let cool for about 10 minutes. Pour in beaten egg and stir, using the tines of a fork and trying not to mash the potato. Add about 1/3 cup flour and continue gently stirring gently with the tines of a fork until mixture starts to come together. You may need another pinch or two of flour. Fold mixture with a spatula until dough forms a mass, adding flour as needed. Using your fingers, knead dough gently to form ball, about 10 seconds.
- Shape dough into a fat log shape on a floured surface. Cut into 4 pieces. Gently roll each piece using your fingertips to form the "snake" or a long rope of dough, starting from the center and rolling toward the end until dough is about 1/2 inch thick. Cut each rope of dough into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Roll each 1/2-inch piece quickly down the back of a fork's tines to form ridges.
- Heat sauce in a skillet while you cook the gnocchi.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Reduce heat so water continues to simmer. Add gnocchi to water. As soon as they float to the surface after half a minute or so, cook for an additional 14 seconds. Transfer cooked gnocchi with a slotted spoon to the pan with the sauce. Stir until coated.
- Serve topped with grated cheese.
- Cook's Notes:
- Makes 4 appetizer servings or 2 main courses.
Per Serving: 411 calories; 7 73.6 13.3 98 597 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
Made as close to the recipe as I could. I doubled it. I think I will just mash the potatoes the next time. Very tasty and very filling.
I love your recipe but I added my own flare..And I didnt have parmesan cheese so I used feta to top it..Thank Chef!
Not as firm as I like my gnocchi but good. I served it with a brown butter sage sauce
Simply amazing and so easy. Put it together in a snap and had people think I worked all day on it
Made as directed - pushed through strainer and was very gentle. Wondered if I could use a ricer? Turned out pillow soft! Wished I had put a bit more salt in the gnocchi and in the water. Served ...
I made them for dinner and the result was delicious! Thank you for giving us your recipe Chef John. I made it with four potatoes for five people as a main entree . The only issue I had was s...