Sausage and Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly oil a baking dish large enough to hold the 4 squash halves in one layer.
- Crumble sausage into a bowl. Add salt, cumin, black pepper, cinnamon, diced pepper, buttermilk or yogurt, chopped mint, and egg. Mix well, breaking mixture down to a paste-like consistency, 3 or 4 minutes. Mix in cooked rice.
- Divide mixture among the squash halves. Sprinkle stuffing with a pinch or 2 of breadcrumbs and some grated cheese. Drizzle lightly with olive oil.
- Cover dish loosely with aluminum foil, more tented than wrapped; foil shouldn't touch the tops of the stuffed squash.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Remove foil and bake until top is golden brown and squash is soft and tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 324 calories; 12.3 40.3 15.6 86 392 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
This deserves a big WOW! Made this last night using a good quality hot italian sausage, basmati rice and fresh mint from my garden. Didn't have any milk or yogurt on hand, so I used sour cream...
Don't leave out the cinnamon. I am a long time fan of Chef John and this is my new favorite. I made a few changes, but only because of what I had on hand. I used hot Italian sausage, omitted ...
Good stuff. I'll be making this again soon. I couldn't find any lamb sausage in my town, so I used spicy Italian Pork sausage instead. I also found out you can eat the skin of the squash. It was...
This is really declicious and the portions were perfect--exactly enough stuffing to fill four acorn squash halves. It was a little too dry for my taste, so the next time I would leave it covere...
Very unique and full of flavors! Next time I will use Italian Sausage vs ground beef for more spice. (I browned the beef before mixing with other ingredients and added some ground assagio chees...
Great recipe. I used seasoned chicken sausage and ommitted the cheese and breadcrumbs and added a little extra from the recipe and the flavor was great. this will make an amazing holiday cassero...
This was absolutely delicious! This recipe is healthier than others that call for a lot of cheese. The video made it easy to show prep. Next time I will try sausage and complementary herbs inste...
My acorn squash took 2 1/2 hours to cook! I should have listened to my instincts and pre-cooked the squash halves in the microwave for 10 minutes or so before roasting.