Tripe Crackling with a Deviled Dipping Sauce
made it | 0 reviews |
"This may sound odd, but tripe, when properly prepared, is an amazing thing! With the milk bath, and the harsh heat of frying, it loses quite a bit of its intimidating harsh flavor. This is a fun appetizer for your pork lovers, and will have them guessing as to what part of the porker you just fried! The sauce uses the traditional combo for any recipe that is deviled: mustard, cayenne pepper, and Worcestershire sauce."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients17 h 21 m servings 410 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Combine tripe and 1/2 gallon milk in a non-reactive bowl. Let soak in the refrigerator, 8 hours to overnight.
- Drain milk and rinse tripe. Return to the bowl and cover with remaining 1/2 gallon milk. Add onion, garlic, and bay leaves. Let soak in the refrigerator, 8 hours to overnight.
- Mix sour cream, scallions, Worcestershire sauce, English mustard, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl to make dipping sauce. Chill until flavors combine, at least 1 hour.
- Drain tripe, discarding milk, onion, garlic, and bay leaves. Rinse tripe and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into tortilla chip-sized triangles.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Fry tripe in batches until puffed and golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve dipping sauce alongside fried tripe.
- Cook's Notes:
- Do not use green tripe for this recipe.
- Add 8 to 10 fresh eucalyptus leaves in step 2 if desired.
- Editor's Notes:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of milk, onion, and garlic. The actual amount of these ingredients consumed will vary.
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 410 calories; 22.7 g fat; 30 g carbohydrates; 22 g protein; 107 mg cholesterol; 306 mg sodium. Full nutrition