Jamaican Goat Curry
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients10 h 15 m servings 384
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Combine goat meat and vinegar in a large bowl; cover with water. Let stand, about 5 minutes. Drain, massaging the meat.
- Mix onion, 6 tablespoons curry powder, Scotch bonnet peppers, garlic, allspice berries, salt, pepper, and thyme together in a bowl to make a spice rub. Rub into goat meat until coated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate, 8 hours to overnight.
- Scrape spice rub off the goat meat, reserving it in a bowl.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add remaining 2 tablespoons curry powder; stir until dark and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add goat meat; cook until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Stir reserved spice rub, potatoes, and carrots into the saucepan. Pour in enough water to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, adding more water as needed, until goat meat is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Discard allspice berries. Season with salt and pepper.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Rinsing the goat in vinegar and water helps break down the muscle and will help make the meat tender
- Substitute 2 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme for the fresh if desired.
- Use gloves when dealing with Scotch bonnet peppers as they are very hot. I used gloves when preparing the rub as well as removing it from the meat.
Per Serving: 384 calories; 10.2 30.7 42.5 106 338 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1