Cauliflower "Risotto" with Porcini Mushrooms and Peas
Cindy Anschutz Barbieri
"Risotto is a Northern Italian rice dish that is cooked for a long time, stirring often. A traditional risotto is cooked with a warm broth, added slowly, to create a creamy consistency. I remember my Nana would make a cup of coffee and grab her stool and sit at a stove for an hour while preparing risotto! As a paleo dish, it takes less time to prepare and the cauliflower gives it a perfect risotto feel."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 7 m servings 263 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Pour 2 cups boiling water into a large bowl. Add dried mushrooms; let stand until rehydrated, about 20 minutes. Remove mushrooms with a slotted spoon and pat dry; chop into smaller pieces. Reserve soaking liquid.
- Pour chicken broth into a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cover and keep warm.
- Process cauliflower in a food processor fitted with a shredding disc into grains the size of rice.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add shallot; cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add cauliflower rice, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until flavors combine, about 5 minutes.
- Stir 1 cup of warm chicken broth into the pot; simmer until absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add remaining broth, 1 cup at a time, simmering until it is absorbed and cauliflower rice is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir chopped mushrooms, peas, balsamic vinegar, and thyme into the pot. Cook and stir until mushrooms and peas are heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Save the soaking liquid from the porcini mushrooms, strain it with a coffee filter or cheesecloth, and use it in soups. You can also add a little to your risotto to give it a richer flavor.
- Use 2 small heads cauliflower instead of 1 large if needed. You can use a box grater to prepare the cauliflower instead of a food processor.
Per Serving: 263 calories; 10.3 g fat; 29.5 g carbohydrates; 16.3 g protein; 26 mg cholesterol; 1043 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1