Apple Pumpkin Pie Extravaganza
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 20 m servings 398 cals
Original recipe yields 10 servings (1 9-inch pie)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; grease lightly.
- Place pumpkin halves cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the fresh is tender when pierced with a fork, about 40 minutes. Cool until easily handled, about 15 minutes. Scoop pumpkin flesh out of the skin and into a food processor; puree until smooth.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Whisk egg lightly in a large bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, and salt. Add 1 3/4 cup pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon, mixing well after each addition.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in remaining 1 1/2 tablespoon flour until it forms a paste. Add remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar, white sugar, and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until smooth, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place bottom crust in a pie plate. Scatter some apples on top. Pour pumpkin puree mixture over apples. Arrange remaining apples in a circular pattern over puree. Moisten the rim of the pie with a small amount of water.
- Cut top crust into 1/2-inch strips with a sharp knife or pastry wheel. Lay the 2 longest strips in an X in the center of the pie. Lay remaining strips on top, using the shortest ones on the edges, weaving them in an over-and-under pattern. Fold the ends under the edge of the bottom crust and flute the crust. Pour butter mixture gently over lattice.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and continue baking until apples are soft and top is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before cutting.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute canned pumpkin puree for the fresh if desired.
Per Serving: 398 calories; 18.2 g fat; 55.2 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 32 mg cholesterol; 421 mg sodium. Full nutrition