The World's Best Vegan Melted Cheese
Ingredients15 m servings 302 cals
- Mix water, chickpea flour, rice flour, nutritional yeast, and flax seeds in a saucepan until dissolved. Add oil, onion, and garlic.
- Place saucepan over low heat; cook and stir until mixture is the consistency of melted cheese, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute margarine for the oil if desired. Substitute 1 teaspoon onion granules for the fresh onion. Add more water and oil in step 2 if needed.
- You can also microwave the mixture in a microwave-safe bowl at 30-second intervals, stirring, until thick and melted, about 3 minutes.
- Variations: You can flavor the cheese with a little mustard or vinegar. You can add tomato paste to give it the color of Cheddar. You can also add soy milk if you want the color to be lighter, like mozzarella. You can thicken the mixture, 1 teaspoon at a time, with all-purpose flour, which also adds a little texture.
Per Serving: 302 calories; 20.1 g fat; 25.5 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 586 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
This may vey well be the World's best vegan cheese. It is delicious and took minutes to make. I added a bit extra nutritional yeast because my chickpea flour gave it a slight bitter taste. The ...
I like this recipe and my son likes it on broccoli. I needed much more water than the recipe calls for. I used two cups initially and two more during the simmering. I doubled the amount of nutr...