Mighty Fine Turkey Brine
Ingredients41 m servings 101 cals
- Combine 2 1/2 cups water and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until salt is dissolved, about 3 minutes.
- Pour water and salt mixture into a 5-gallon bucket. Add 1 gallon of water.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups water and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Pour into the bucket.
- Stir apple juice, whiskey, and lemon juice into the bucket. Add chopped apple. Squeeze in orange juice and add in rinds.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute 1/4 cup lemon extract for the lemon juice if desired.
- To Brine: Crush 1 to 2 jumbo-sized cloves of garlic and rub over a 12 to 18-pound turkey. You can also mince fresh herbs and mix in with the garlic. Stuff turkey with 1 quartered and chopped apple. Brine for 12 to 16 hours, depending on the size of the turkey. You could add a bottle of dry white wine to the brine about 6 hours in. Pat turkey dry with paper towels before roasting.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of brine ingredients. The actual amount of brine consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 101 calories; 0.1 g fat; 16.3 g carbohydrates; 0.1 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 9 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
This was the best smoked turkey I have ever made. The brine made it super juicy, tender, and full of flavor. I scaled down the recipe because I was just doing a whole turkey breast and it still ...
The turkey was very moist and had a great flavor. Will definitely be used again!!!!!!!