Apple Cider Turkey Brine
Ingredients15 m servings 24
- Combine 4 cups water, apple cider, kosher salt, sage, rosemary, thyme, and peppercorns together in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil; cook and stir brine until the salt is just dissolved. Remove from heat; add ice cubes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Canning salt or sea salt can be substituted for kosher salt, if desired. Table salt may make the turkey a little too salty.
- Actual cook time for the brine is about 15 minutes. However, the bird will need to rest in the brining liquid for about 12 hours in the fridge.
- To brine the turkey: Rinse the turkey inside and out. Submerge into the cooled brine; add water until turkey is completely covered and all cavities are filled. Stir around the edges to make sure liquids are combined. Place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 12 hours. Remove the turkey from the pot; pat dry with paper towels. Discard brine. Cook the turkey as desired.
- Editor's Notes:
- Always brine foods in a food-grade, nonreactive container such as a stainless steel or enameled stockpot, a brining bag, or a food-grade plastic bucket.
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of brine ingredients. The actual amount of brine consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 24 calories; 0 5.9 0.1 0 7608 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
Made as written except for the thyme. Fresh was sold out so I used dry. I let my turkey sit in the brine for a few days and it turned out super tender. This was a winner and one I will use again.
Great idea. I used more apple cider and less water. Packed the turkey with cut up apples. Was moist and tender with a hint of apple.
The apple cider brine was a huge hit for us this year. Everyone said this was my best Turkey dinner yet. I will definitely be using this again.
Turkey was moist, not too salty (rinsed) but browned great!
I added a about 10 garlic cloves and a large onion and a lil more pepper corns. I also used Himalayan pink salt. This is my go to brine every year and it’s always a hit. People always ask me if ...