Holiday Turkey Brine
made it | 0 reviews |
"There are many brines available for your holiday turkey, and many have similar ingredients. The basic concept is that brining a turkey, or any meat, helps that meat retain moisture over long cooking periods. My husband said this recipe created the juiciest turkey he had ever experienced. Even after almost 4 hours of cook time, you could squeeze the juice out of the meat it was so tender and juicy. And the savory and sweet flavors were just enough to complement the brine and impart those flavors to the turkey. Bon appetit!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients20 m servings 105 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Combine vegetable broth, sea salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, rosemary, sage, and thyme in a large stockpot. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently until salt and sugar dissolve. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Pour the water, broth mixture, and apple cider vinegar into a 5-gallon bucket; stir until brine is combined. Add the apples, onion, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic to the brine mixture.
- Cook's Notes:
- Crushed peppercorns can be substituted for whole, if desired.
- Fresh rosemary, sage, and thyme can be substituted for dried.
- To brine the turkey: Wash and dry the turkey; remove the innards. Place the turkey, breast down, into the brine making sure that the cavity gets filled. Seal the brining container; brine for 12 to 24 hours. Remove the turkey. Carefully drain off excess brine; pat dry. Discard excess brine. Cook as desired.
- You should always roast your turkey to the recommended internal temperature, as ovens and cooking times will vary.
- Editor's Notes:
- Always brine foods in a food-grade, nonreactive container such as a stainless steel or enameled stockpot, a brining bag, or a food-grade plastic bucket.
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of brine ingredients. The actual amount of brine consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 105 calories; 0.9 g fat; 22.8 g carbohydrates; 1.8 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 11307 mg sodium. Full nutrition