Finocchi al Gratin (Fennel Gratin)
made it | 0 reviews |
"In this recipe, the sweetness of fennel goes perfectly with the flavor of the sauce and gives life to a classic first course in the Italian tradition. Serve as an accompaniment to a light main, because the gratin will play a leading role."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 2 m servings 227 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add fennel wedges, cover, and steam until tender but still crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to the baking dish.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour to make a soft paste. Gradually whisk in 1 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons milk; simmer until sauce is creamy and thick, 5 to 6 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Pour sauce over fennel in the baking dish. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden, about 20 minutes. Broil until top is browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Let stand before serving, about 5 minutes.
Per Serving: 227 calories; 12 g fat; 23.9 g carbohydrates; 7.4 g protein; 33 mg cholesterol; 266 mg sodium. Full nutrition