Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 413
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until translucent, about 3 minutes. Mix in mushrooms, carrots, and garlic; cook until flavors combine, about 2 minutes.
- Stir vegetable broth, water, lentils, quinoa, tomato paste, curry powder, chili powder, cumin, ginger, cayenne pepper, garam masala, turmeric, salt, and pepper into the saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover; let simmer until vegetables are cooked through, about 40 minutes.
- Stir butter and cream into the saucepan. Replace the lid and cook until the lentils are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Cooking oil can be substituted for olive oil; other types of lentils can be substituted for dry green lentils; heavy whipping cream can be substituted for milk, if desired.
- Garam masala can be found at your local ethnic grocery store or in some large chain grocery stores.
- Omit butter and cream to make it vegan-- will still taste great.
Per Serving: 413 calories; 10.5 62.1 19.8 9 1158 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
My husband and I loved how spicy it was. It was also easy to make-all in one pot! I forgot the tomato paste, and didn't have 1 cup of mushrooms. I added more carrots and some red peppers. W...
Indian spices taste authentic in this recipe. I used red quinoa and ended up using up my chile and cayenne pepper, so I included about 1/4 tsp. less of these seasonings, which probably made it l...
Extremely good texture and flavor. Like others I substituted chicken stock for water yo add flavor. This recipe is spicy HOT, to hot for my wife who doesn't mind medium hot, it calms down a bi...