Brazilian Chicken Stew (Galinha Ensopada)
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 425 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Heat oil in a deep skillet over low heat. Sprinkle sugar over the bottom. Season chicken thighs with salt and pepper; cook in batches until browned, about 5 minutes per side.
- Transfer browned chicken to a plate. Remove skin.
- Cook onion in the same skillet until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Return chicken to the skillet. Pour in enough broth to cover the chicken halfway. Simmer, partially covered, until chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center, about 1 hour.
- Cook's Notes:
- Skinless, boneless chicken thighs work well too.
- Chicken can be simmered with onion and tomatoes in a slow cooker instead of the skillet in step 3.
Per Serving: 425 calories; 26 g fat; 8.9 g carbohydrates; 36.5 g protein; 129 mg cholesterol; 2173 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
For as most of the flavor comes from the tomatoes, having that much salt is overpowering. I would suggest that salt be to taste or 1 teaspoon.