Fried Zucchini Squash Blossoms
1 made it | 0 reviews |
Cindy Anschutz Barbieri
"I have been making and eating zucchini blossoms for as long as I can remember. My nana would make sure my grandfather picked them as soon as they were perfect! As a little girl we would fill them with ricotta and mozzarella cheese, but I am going to share a delicious paleo recipe for you to enjoy."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 13 m servings 465
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and ice.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add zucchini blossoms and cook until slightly wilted, about 20 seconds. Drain in a colander and immediately immerse in ice water for several minutes to stop the cooking process. Drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Mix goat cheese, egg yolk, scallion, pepper, and cayenne in a bowl until smooth.
- Spoon filling into a resealable plastic bag and seal, squeezing out as much air as possible. Cut a small corner off the bag. Pipe about 1 tablespoon of the filling into each zucchini blossom. Fold petals over to cover filling. Arrange on a plate.
- Refrigerate filled zucchini blossoms until cheese is set and firm, at least 45 minutes.
- Mix tapioca flour and arrowroot powder together in a shallow dish.
- Pour coconut oil into a cast iron skillet to a depth of 1 inch. Heat until a thermometer inserted into the oil reads 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Dredge cold zucchini blossoms lightly in tapioca flour mixture, shaking off excess. Fry in hot oil until golden, about 1 minute. Flip with tongs and fry until golden on second side, about 1 minute more. Remove zucchini blossoms to drain on a plate lined with paper towels. Season with sea salt.
- Cook's Note:
- Refrigerate zucchini flowers in a tightly sealed bag until ready to use. Use within 2 days!
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 465 calories; 34.1 37.2 5.1 66 181 Full nutrition