Ingredients1 d 6 h 5 m servings 463
- Crush garlic into small pieces in a mortar and pestle. Add olive oil, salt, oregano, and black pepper; mash into a paste.
- Make 12 deep incisions a few inches apart in the roast using a sharp knife. Pack the seasoned garlic paste evenly into the incisions and over the roast.
- Transfer roast to a large bowl. Pour in red wine, covering roast completely. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in the refrigerator, 24 hours.
- Pour out red wine. Place roast fat-side up in a roasting pan; cover with aluminum foil. Let sit at room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place roast in the preheated oven; reduce temperature to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Bake until slightly pink in the center, about 4 hours.
- Increase temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Uncover roast and continue baking until fat is crispy and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 160 degrees F (71 degrees C), about 1 hour more.
- Remove from oven and let rest before carving, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute 3 tablespoons minced garlic for the cloves if desired.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of red wine. The actual amount of red wine consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 463 calories; 26.5 4.1 27.2 104 375 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I rubbed dijon mustard over it before adding the spice rub and I substituted the wine for about a cup of apple cider vinegar. Only because I didn't have the wine on hand.
I made the roast following the directions and it had a fantastic flavor. Even my 90 year old dad liked it and gave it thumbs up.