Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients7 h 10 m servings 220 cals
Original recipe yields 24 servings (2 - 9x5 inch loaves)
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, sift together 4 1/2 cups flour, salt, curry powder and turmeric. Make a well in the center of flour mixture. Pour in yeast mixture and 1/2 cup clarified butter. Stir in the remaining 4 cups flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until a stiff dough is formed. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- Grease a bowl with remaining clarified butter, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with butter. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 4 hours.
- After 4 hours punch dough down, flip over and let rise for 2 more hours.
- Deflate the dough and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into two equal pieces and form into loaves. Place the loaves into two lightly greased 9x5 inch loaf pans. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Bake dough in preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until loaves are golden brown and sound hollow when tapped.
Per Serving: 220 calories; 6.9 g fat; 34.3 g carbohydrates; 4.7 g protein; 16 mg cholesterol; 98 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I really liked this bread, although bf didn't, so I don't get to make it again. :o( He just didn't like the taste--guess he doesn't like curry or turmeric? I made it into rolls and used my br...