Ingredients40 m servings 365 cals
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a shallow baking dish.
- In a saucepan bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add rice and stir. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Slice tops off of onions. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add onions and cook until tender but still firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, cool and remove centers of onions, leaving shell intact. Chop centers and reserve 1/2 cup of the chopped flesh.
- Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving drippings, crumble and set aside.
- In the reserved drippings saute green pepper and reserved 1/2 cup chopped onion until tender. Combine with sausage, egg, cooked rice, bread crumbs, oregano and parsley. Spoon mixture into onion shells and place in prepared dish.
- Combine melted butter and paprika; brush or spoon over onions.
- Bake in preheated oven, covered, for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Per Serving: 365 calories; 20.9 g fat; 35 g carbohydrates; 10.1 g protein; 67 mg cholesterol; 717 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
These were OK...kids wouldn't touch them. Nice to try something different. I would make these again.
Do not turn your oven on until the rice is done. Put the water on for the rice and onions before you do anything. It will boil while you prepare the other ingredients. The onions take the lon...
The onions took about 20 minutes to cook. There was too much filler and not enough meat to suit us. Next time I'll put in 1.5 times the meat, and half the rice and breadcrumbs. We had too muc...