Vegan Apple Pie with Foam
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"Delicious vegan apple pie with foam. The egg whites are replaced with aquafaba (chickpea water). Serve as a lovely dessert after a nice meal."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 55 m servings 202
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 9-inch pie)
- Sift flour into a large bowl. Rub in butter with your fingers until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in sugar, vanilla, cold water, and baking powder until a firm dough forms.
- Knead dough gently and briefly on a floured work surface. Wrap in plastic wrap and let chill, about 30 minutes.
- Place apples in a pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently until soft, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain. Mash with a hand blender or potato masher into a thick puree; let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch pie plate.
- Press 2/3 of the dough into the pie plate evenly with your fingers to make the crust. Prick crust all over with a fork.
- Bake crust in the preheated oven until golden, about 20 minutes.
- Grate remaining 1/3 of the dough onto a baking sheet to make crumbles.
- Bake crumbles in the preheated oven until golden, about 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
- Place aquafaba and cream of tartar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Beat on high, gradually adding confectioners' sugar, until meringue is stiff and glossy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Measure out 1 1/4 cup apple puree into a bowl. Stir in cinnamon. Spread apple-cinnamon puree over cooled pie crust. Spread meringue over the puree.
- Bake pie in the preheated oven until golden, 60 to 90 minutes. Turn off oven; keep pie inside until cooled, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Scatter baked crumbles on top.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute vegan margarine for the vegan butter if desired.
- The aquafaba meringue will dissolve if you sprinkle on your crumbles straight after baking.
Per Serving: 202 calories; 8.2 29.3 2.6 0 141 Full nutrition