Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients55 m servings 235 cals
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Heat a 1/2 inch of vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Fry eggplants in batches until golden brown, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Puree tomatoes in a blender until smooth. Press through a strainer, discarding seeds and skins.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add beef and cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Stir in potato, green bell pepper, and tomato paste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir tomato puree into the skillet. Simmer until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes. Add fried eggplant and lemon juice. Simmer until flavors combine, about 5 minutes more.
- Cook's Notes:
- Using fresh tomatoes makes all the difference.
- For a healthier version, roast eggplants instead of frying them.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 235 calories; 11.1 g fat; 26.4 g carbohydrates; 10.5 g protein; 24 mg cholesterol; 81 mg sodium. Full nutrition