Bo Kho (Spicy Vietnamese Beef Stew)
5 made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 7 m servings 346
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Trim ends off lemongrass and cut into 3-inch pieces. Pound gently with a heavy object until bruised.
- Mix lemongrass stalk, fish sauce, ginger, applesauce, curry powder, five-spice powder, and bay leaf in a large bowl. Add beef; mix until coated. Let marinate in the refrigerator, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Drain excess marinade off beef, reserving lemongrass and bay leaf.
- Melt ghee in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook beef in batches until browned, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer beef to a plate. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onion; cook and stir until soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and salt. Simmer until thickened into a paste, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Stir beef, reserved lemongrass, and bay leaf into the tomato paste. Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until flavors combine, about 5 minutes. Increase heat to high. Add water and carrots; bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook in the preheated oven until beef is tender, about 2 1/2 hours. Garnish with cilantro.
- Cook's Notes:
- Use another cheap cut of beef instead of brisket if desired.
- Substitute butter for the ghee if desired.
- Substitute 2 whole star anise for the Chinese Five-Spice Powder if preferred. Add them with the lemongrass and bay leaf in step 4.
- Keep your ginger in the freezer for super-easy grating.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of marinade ingredients. The actual amount of marinade consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 346 calories; 24.6 13.5 16.7 71 702 Full nutrition