Ingredients45 m servings 272
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet over medium heat. Saute apples until medium-firm, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup white sugar and pinch of salt. Cook until apples begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes longer. Remove apples from the skillet and allow to cool. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel.
- Place 1/2 cup of butter in skillet over medium heat. Constantly swirl the butter in the pan, watching carefully so butter does not burn. The butter is "browned" when it is a tan color and smells nutty. This can take 3 to 10 minutes. When butter is ready, promptly pour it into a bowl to prevent it from burning.
- Add 1/2 cup white sugar to the apples and stir until sugar is well incorporated.
- In a mixing bowl, combine browned butter, powdered sugar, cream cheese, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon until well combined. Add apple mixture and stir until well-blended.
- Unroll the pie crust on a silicone mat. Using a small cookie cutter, press out the pie crust "chips." Lift the pie crust up, leaving the "chips" on the mat. Place the mat on a baking sheet. The remaining dough may be rolled out to 1/4" thick and the process repeated to use up all the dough and make more "chips" using separate silicone mats (or parchment).
- Bake in preheated oven, bake 6-7 minutes, watching carefully to ensure the chips to not burn. Allow the chips to cool. Place on serving plate.
- Spoon the dip into a serving bowl; serve with chips for dipping.
- Cook's Notes:
- Light-colored skillets work best so you can judge the color of the butter when browning.
- When rolling out the dough, if you don't have a silicon mat, use parchment paper.
- In a hurry? For easier preparation, a ready-to-fill pie crust may be used for the chips. Prepare the pie shell according to the instructions on the package for a one-crust baked pie shell. Cool. Break shell into chip-sized pieces and serve with the dip. Another variation is to serve with apple slices.
- Dip may be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to use. Allow time to warm to room temperature before serving.
Per Serving: 272 calories; 18 26 2.4 31 223 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Absolutely delicious! I made just as written except I used Neufchâtel Cheese, which is 1/3 lower in fat than cream cheese. This is so hard to stop eating. You can eat it with the pie chips, cra...
This was only ok. I did not care for the texture at all. And something about the flavors just didn't come together.
This recipe is awesome!! Everyone raved about it. I made this exactly as the recipe is written. Thank you for sharing!