Ingredients27 m servings 837
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Pour in milk; mix thoroughly. Pour in warm water gradually, kneading dough until soft but not sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rest, about 15 minutes.
- Pinch off egg-shaped balls of dough and place on a flat work surface. Roll out into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Make a small hole in the center of each round.
- Melt shortening in a deep fryer or large saucepan. Working in batches, fry dough rounds in hot shortening until bubbly and golden, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Cook's Note:
- Fry them in lard instead of shortening if desired.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 837 calories; 69.1 48.6 6.8 < 1 369 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
FABULOUS! Nice and fluffy, excellent flavor, easy technique. But the 1-1/2 cups water was too much! I was mixing it with my 5yo and ended up with about 1-1/4 cups water added when I realized ...
I made this with less than a cup of water. The rest time was about 20 minutes. Cooking the fry bread to a light brown gave me a tender product. It was great!
This is a generous three stars because the ingredient ratios are off. The water was too much! I ended up having to add more flour and extra baking soda to adjust for the liquid. That said, it wa...