Fry Bread Tacos with Spicy Shredded Beef
"A delicious take on the traditional taco. A light, fluffy fried bread complete with fresh refried beans, shredded spicy beef, and toppings like shredded cheese, lettuce, salsa, and sour cream. Most of the cooking time is from using the slow cooker. It only takes 30 minutes from frying the bread to serving this wonderful meal."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients5 h 47 m servings 705
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Mix beef chuck, beef broth, onion, red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons chili powder, garlic, 2 teaspoons cumin, salt, and black pepper together in a slow cooker.
- Cook on High until beef is tender, about 4 hours. Transfer beef from slow cooker to a cutting board. Shred using 2 forks. Return shredded beef to the slow cooker. Cook on High until flavors combine, about 1 hour. Drain excess juice.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt together in a large bowl. Pour in milk; mix until a dough forms.
- Knead dough on a floured work surface until smooth, about 5 minutes. Let dough rest, about 5 minutes. Divide into 4 equal sections and roll out into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Poke a hole into the center of each with your finger.
- Heat vegetable oil to a depth of 1 1/2 inches in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Fry each dough round until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a small pot. Add pinto beans, 1 tablespoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon cumin, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper; stir and mash until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Top fry bread with pinto bean mixture and shredded beef.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- The beef can also be used for burritos, chimichangas and quesadillas.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 705 calories; 35.4 70.5 27.5 56 1564 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1