Pomfret Macher Jhaal (Pomfret Fish Curry)
made it | 0 reviews |
"This is a Bengali delicacy and a good recipe for a pomfret fish lover. It is spicy and tangy. Definitely an easy recipe worth trying. Serve hot with rice."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients45 m servings 495 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Rub pomfret with 1 teaspoon turmeric and a pinch of salt.
- Mix remaining 1 teaspoon turmeric powder, red chile powder, and 2 teaspoons water in a small bowl to make a paste.
- Combine 2 green chile peppers, tomato, mustard seeds, and salt in a food processor; grind into a paste. Thin paste with water if it appears too thick.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fish; pan-fry until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer fish to a plate. Add remaining 2 green chile peppers and onion seeds; cook and stir until chile peppers darken, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour turmeric paste into the skillet; cook and stir until mixture looks dry, about 1 minute. Pour in chile pepper paste; cook and stir until dry, about 1 minute. Pour in enough water to cover; bring to a simmer. Return fish to the skillet and continue simmering, covered, until fish flakes easily with a fork, about 6 minutes.
- Editor's Note:
- Use any variety of white fish in place of the pomfret, if desired.
Per Serving: 495 calories; 35 g fat; 12 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 109 mg cholesterol; 199 mg sodium. Full nutrition