Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 419
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Run 1 tortilla through the hot oil until softened, 2 to 3 seconds per side; transfer to a plate. Layer a dry tortilla on top of the cooked tortilla on the plate. Cook another tortilla in the hot oil and stack on the dry tortilla. Repeat process until all the tortillas are used.
- Cook and stir chicken and onion in the same skillet, adding more oil if needed, until chicken is 2/3 done, about 10 minutes. Add green chiles; cook and stir until chicken is no longer pink in the center and onions are tender, 5 to 10 minutes more.
- Layer tortillas in a 9x13-inch baking dish; top with chicken mixture, enchilada sauce, Monterey Jack cheese, and mozzarella cheese. Repeat layering until all ingredients are used, ending with sauce and cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Cool until set, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Chicken breasts can be used in place of the chicken thighs.
- Roasted and peeled Hatch chile peppers can be used in place of the diced green chiles.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 419 calories; 21.8 32.1 24.5 69 646 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
I modified the cooking technique but no changes to the ingredients. I cooked the onion and chicken thighs in a crockpot. This allows a more tender chicken thigh. Afterwards I proceeded with fryi...
This was very good, I will make it again. I do think you need to shred the chicken add about a teaspoon of cumin and chili powder about 3/4 of that big can of enchilada sauce . Great recipe
This was so good! My fiance went back for thirds. I didn't change a thing, although next time I might use breasts and shred them instead of just cubing them.
This is simple and delicious. The only thing I would change next time, is shred the chicken, instead of pieces and add black olives.
I wanted sort of a slow cooker version of this recipe. I took chicken breasts, chicken broth, green chiles, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, chipotle chili powder, paprika, half an on...