Salsa Roja Chicken
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients37 m servings 297
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy plastic on a solid, level surface. Firmly pound chicken with the smooth side of a meat mallet to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Combine flour, salt, and ground black pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
- Coat a large skillet with olive oil; heat over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add chicken; cook until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Flip chicken and continue cooking until second side is golden brown, about 4 minutes more.
- Stir diced tomatoes, salsa, chili powder, and cumin into the skillet. Cook until flavors combine, 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken stock and lime juice; stir to blend. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Add 3 ounces cotija cheese and tortilla pieces to the sauce; simmer, about 1 minute. Spoon sauce over chicken on the platter.
- Garnish chicken with remaining 1 ounce cotija cheese and fresh cilantro.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute chicken thighs for the chicken breasts if desired.
- Substitute canola oil for the olive oil if preferred.
- You can use fire-roasted diced tomatoes if desired. You can use homemade salsa instead of store-bought.
Per Serving: 297 calories; 12.1 13.8 32.1 89 699 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1