Sam's Sourdough Waffles
Ingredients4 h 18 m servings 165
- Mix flour, 1 1/2 cup water, and sourdough starter together in a large bowl to make batter. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place until filled with large holes and bubbles, 4 hours to overnight.
- Stir oil, eggs, sugar, and salt into the batter; mix well to combine.
- Whisk 1 tablespoon water and baking soda together in a small bowl until dissolved. Fold into the batter with a rubber spatula.
- Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Pour batter onto preheated iron and bake until crisp and golden, according to manufacturer's instructions, about 3 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- You can also make pancakes with this batter. Cook on a griddle as you would any other pancake recipe.
- Parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 165 calories; 8.2 19.1 3.7 25 408 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 15
These were great. I love how crispy the waffles turned out. To make these apple cinnamon flavored, I added a tablespoon of boiled apple cider and a teaspoon of cinnamon.
I reduced the amount of oil to about 1/3 cup and the salt to 1 1/2 tsp. The waffles came out crisp on the outside and fluffy inside. Waffle perfection! This is a keeper recipe!
I have tried many waffle recipes in my life and I am 74 years old. These waffles are the best. They are light, crispy and taste great. I followed the recipe exactly. I love it that I can use...
Everyone loved the waffles went for seconds. Woke up my century old San Francisco sour dough Wednesday, fed it and got it going, Sunday morning early I mixed in about 200 grams of very happy st...
These waffles were delicious! I made the following changes: 1) I didn't plan ahead enough to allow the sourdough to activate overnight. Instead, I just used more starter than the recipe called f...
These were fabulous. So light and fluffy. We doubled it for my family of 7 and they were gone in a flash with frequent requests for more.
I made it as pancakes (I don't have a waffle iron) and it was amazing! Thank you for this recipe!