Gluten-Free Boxed Cake Mix Replacer
3 made it | 0 reviews |
"Got a recipe calling for gluten-free cake mix? Don't have one? Don't want to use them? Here is a chemical-free and less expensive replacement. The dry ingredients equal one 19-ounce boxed version. Adapted from the ingredients' lists of various boxed versions. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 month."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients20 m servings 250
Original recipe yields 8 servings (2 9-inch round cakes)
- Sift white rice flour, brown rice flour, sorghum flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, sweet rice flour, rice starch, baking powder, and vanilla powder together twice in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add superfine sugar and salt; whisk together using the whisk attachment on medium-low speed, about 2 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Add 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder for a recipe calling for a 19-ounce boxed chocolate cake. When using the cocoa, add it with the first ingredients so it will be sifted twice, together with the flours.
- If you can't find rice starch, either replace it with arrowroot (maranta starch) or even gluten-free, unflavored rice cereal for babies.
- To make into a cake, add 3 eggs, 1/2 cup butter or oil, 1/2 cup milk or milk substitute. Then bake at 330 degrees F (165 degrees C) for about 50 minutes. Makes one 9x13-inch cake.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 250 calories; 0.5 59.3 2.6 0 475 Full nutrition