Homemade Japanese Curry
"Curry has always been a passion of mine, especially Japanese Curry. After years of searching I have discovered the perfect Japanese Curry. Many of these spices can be found at your local Asian, Hispanic, or Middle Eastern markets, or substituted with S&B® Oriental Curry Powder. Well worth the effort - your family will love this! Serve over steamed rice or noodles."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h servings 599
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Combine coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, cardamom pods, and fennel seeds in a large skillet over low heat; toast until lightly golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add cloves, star anise, and cinnamon sticks; toast until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove seeds from cardamom pods and return to the skillet, discarding pods.
- Transfer toasted spice mixture to a spice grinder or blender. Add turmeric, white peppercorns, black peppercorns, allspice, and nutmeg; grind into a fine curry powder.
- Melt 3/4 cup butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook until golden brown, 30 to 45 seconds. Stir in 4 tablespoons of the curry powder, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste. Remove from heat.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large pot over low heat. Add onions; cook and stir until golden brown, 30 to 45 minutes. Increase heat to high; add 2 tablespoons curry powder, chicken, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and salt. Saute until chicken is browned, about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and bouillon cubes; bring curry to a boil.
- Stir carrots into the pot; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in green bell peppers and apples. Cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir in curry paste and simmer until sauce thickens and flavors combine, about 5 minutes.
You might also like
Per Serving: 599 calories; 32.3 51.3 28.7 135 1045 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
We just move back to the states from Japan and we missed our Japanese Curry, this recipe is pretty much spot on for Japanese Curry. I left out the Chicken and added mushrooms because Japanese Cu...