Gulab Jamun or Kala Jam (Waffle Balls)
made it | 0 reviews |
Kristin Rhea Hernbrode
"These are like little waffle balls that sit in and absorb a sugary rosewater syrup. It was first made on the Indian subcontinent, around South Asia. Gulab Juman originated from Luqmat Al-Qadi, an Arabic dessert. This dessert is popular at weddings, Diwali, Eid Al-Fitr and Eid Al-Adha. There a several different types of jamun with different looks and taste. Serve hot or cold."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 17 m servings 187 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings (12 gulab)
- Combine water, sugar, cardamom, rose water, and saffron in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until consistency is syrupy, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Mix milk powder, flour, and baking soda in a bowl until well-combined. Slowly mix in butter and yogurt until dough comes together. Let gulab dough rest for 5 minutes. Shape into smooth balls the size of pennies.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Test the temperature of the oil by dropping in a small piece of dough. When it sits at the bottom of the pan for 1 minute before coming to the surface, the oil is ready.
- Fry 4 gulab balls at a time, stirring carefully, until dark golden brown on all sides, about 2 minutes. Drain on a paper-towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining gulab.
- Bring syrup back up to a boil and drop in fried gulab. Remove from heat and let them soak in the syrup, covered, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cook's Note:
- Try adding ice cream to these hot waffle balls, you'll be addicted!
- The longer you leave the waffle balls in the syrup the better it is going to be; some people leave the waffle balls overnight.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
- Parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 187 calories; 4.7 g fat; 36.1 g carbohydrates; 1.3 g protein; 3 mg cholesterol; 45 mg sodium. Full nutrition