Korean Short Ribs (Kalbi Jjim)
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients6 h 25 m servings 782 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Soak shiitake mushrooms in a bowl of very warm water until softened, about 3 hours. Drain and slice into strips.
- Soak short ribs in a bowl of cold water for 20 minutes, changing the water a few times. Drain and bring ribs to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add short ribs; cook until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water. Remove any loose particles and excess fat; transfer to a large pot.
- Mix 2 cups water, sliced onion, soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, and rice wine in a bowl; pour over ribs in the pot. Bring to a boil; cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in shiitake mushrooms, radish, and carrot. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until short ribs are tender, about 1 hour.
- Stir eggs, corn syrup, sesame oil, and black pepper into the pot. Increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring frequently, until most of the cooking liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Transfer short ribs to a serving platter and top with chopped green onion.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute 6 to 8 small red potatoes for the Korean radish if preferred.
- For a richer taste, marinate ribs in the sauce for 6 hours in the refrigerator before proceeding with step 4.
Per Serving: 782 calories; 53.5 g fat; 40.3 g carbohydrates; 34.2 g protein; 411 mg cholesterol; 652 mg sodium. Full nutrition