Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 d 1 h 20 m servings 701 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Place hake in a deep dish and sprinkle generously with 3 tablespoons salt. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until salt is absorbed, 2 to 3 days.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, salt, and black pepper together in a bowl. Add onion; mix well to combine. Let marinate in the refrigerator until serving.
- Rinse hake with cold water and place in a large pot. Pour in water to nearly cover; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until easily flaked with a fork, about 20 minutes. Remove from water and transfer to serving plates.
- Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and divide among serving plates.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat; fry salt pork until lightly browned and crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Mash hake and potatoes together with a fork. Mix in slices of crispy salt pork and spoonfuls of fat from the skillet. Top with a few sliced onions and serve.
- Cook's Notes:
- Use 1 tablespoon salt per pound of fish in step 1.
- Boil at least 2 potatoes for each serving.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of salt for corning. The actual amount of salt consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 701 calories; 29.6 g fat; 77.4 g carbohydrates; 34.2 g protein; 72 mg cholesterol; 3085 mg sodium. Full nutrition