Uszka do Barszczu (Mushroom Dumplings for Borscht)
made it | 0 reviews |
"This is my Polish grandmother's recipe for mushroom dumplings, which she has always insisted must be served with borscht."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 8 m servings 439 cals
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Place dried mushrooms in a small saucepan and cover with hot water; bring to a boil. Cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and chop into small pieces.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in mushrooms; continue cooking until onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper. Add breadcrumbs if filling seems too wet.
- Combine flour, hot milk, and egg yolk in a large bowl, stirring quickly with a fork until a soft and smooth dough forms.
- Roll dough out on a lightly-floured surface. Cut into 1 1/2-inch squares. Place a teaspoon of filling in the center of each square. Fold the dough over the filling to form a triangle and pinch edges to seal. Bring the bottom corners together and pinch together.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook dumplings in batches until they float to the surface of the water, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate with a slotted spoon.
- Cook's Note:
- Add more milk in step 3 if dough appears too stiff.
- Parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 439 calories; 4.6 g fat; 84.8 g carbohydrates; 13.6 g protein; 29 mg cholesterol; 70 mg sodium. Full nutrition