Stroopwafels with Treacle
3 made it | 0 reviews |
"We all love stroopwafels with a cup of coffee or tea - it's a favorite Dutch treat. Try making them at home with this recipe!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 31 m servings 522
Original recipe yields 12 servings (1 dozen)
- Combine flour, 1 cup melted butter, white sugar, milk, egg, and yeast in a large bowl. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise, about 45 minutes.
- Heat treacle, brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and cinnamon in a small saucepan over medium heat until melted together, 3 to 5 minutes. Mix well until filling is smooth.
- Preheat a shallow waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Knead dough briefly and divide it into balls about 1 1/2 inches in diameter, or as needed to fit your waffle iron.
- Bake 1 ball of dough the preheated iron until golden brown and iron stops steaming, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove with a cake spatula. Press down with a round cutter to trim edges for a perfect circle. Carefully slice horizontally into 2 rounds while still hot. Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of the filling on each round and sandwich together. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Cook's Note:
- Making stroopwafels does require a special shallow waffle iron, as regular waffle irons will produce waffles too thick for this purpose. Try finding a stroopwafel iron, if possible, or improvise with either a pizzelle iron or waffle ice cream cone iron.
- Parchment can be used for easier cleanup/removal from the pan.
Per Serving: 522 calories; 20.2 81.4 5.7 67 160 Full nutrition