Slow-Cooked Chicken Biryani
Ingredients3 h 6 m servings 421 cals
- Place basmati rice in a large container and cover with several inches of cool water. Let soak, about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cinnamon sticks, 8 cloves, and 4 black cardamom pods; fry until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add onions; cook and stir until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in ginger-garlic paste; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Sprinkle mint and cilantro on top; cook 1 minute more.
- Stir chicken into the skillet; season with 1 teaspoon salt. Cook and stir until chicken is browned, about 20 minutes. Stir in yogurt, green chile peppers, lemon juice, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, chile pepper, and turmeric. Cook until oil begins to separate from the sauce, 10 to 20 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add 1 teaspoon salt, cumin, 2 green cardamom pods, 2 cloves, and bay leaves; boil for 1 minute. Add drained rice. Bring water back up to a boil and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and drain, reserving whole spices in the rice.
- Spoon chicken mixture into a slow cooker. Top with partially cooked rice; mix together.
- Cook on High until rice is tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- If your slow cooked has vents, cover them with aluminum foil.
- Easy Cleanup
- Try using a liner in your slow cooker for easier cleanup
Per Serving: 421 calories; 9.7 g fat; 58.3 g carbohydrates; 23.8 g protein; 44 mg cholesterol; 1362 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Based on the other reviewer's comments about the rice drying out, I made a few changes. I used 1 c of yogurt instead of 3/4 cup. I pre-cooked the rice for 4 minutes instead of 2. I put everythin...