Hyderabad Dum Biryani
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 33 m servings 551 cals
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Place black peppercorns, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon sticks, star anise, and kala jeera in a spice grinder; grind into a fine powder.
- Place cilantro and mint leaves in a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Combine spice powder, cilantro-mint mixture, yogurt, lemon juice, ginger-garlic paste, chile powder, biryani masala powder, and turmeric in a large bowl. Add chicken; turn to coat evenly. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in the refrigerator, about 2 hours.
- Bring water and rice to a boil in a saucepan; add 2 bay leaves. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until rice is partially cooked through and still firm, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- Combine milk and saffron in a small bowl; stir to combine.
- Heat ghee in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Reduce heat to low. Add remaining 2 bay leaves and chile peppers; cook and stir until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Carefully remove 1 tablespoon of ghee from the pot; set it aside.
- Wipe excess marinade off the chicken, discarding marinade, and add to the pot. Cook over medium heat until no longer pink, about 2 minutes per side. Spread drained rice on top. Sprinkle onions on top of the rice. Drizzle reserved ghee and saffron milk over onions and rice.
- Cover the pot and cook over high heat, about 8 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, until rice is tender and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the chicken reads 165 degrees F (74 degrees C), about 15 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute lamb for the chicken if preferred.
- Substitute oil for the ghee if desired.
- If you want biryani to look like dry, sprinkle oil on rice after you drain it and before you add it to the chicken.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of marinade ingredients. The actual amount of marinade consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 551 calories; 18.6 g fat; 74.6 g carbohydrates; 22.4 g protein; 69 mg cholesterol; 148 mg sodium. Full nutrition