Grace Love's Smothered Steak
"Seattle-based soul singer Grace Love was born in the South, and learned to cook watching her parents in the kitchen. This satisfying dish was created using pantry staples. She calls it smothered because it's covered and finished in the oven. She calls it simple, but it's definitely comfort food at its Southern finest. Serve over steamed white rice."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 24 m servings 461
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine sea salt, garlic salt, black pepper, brown sugar, powdered honey, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl to make spice rub.
- Measure out 2 tablespoons of the spice rub and use to season steak on all sides.
- Heat oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions; cook and stir until they start to become translucent, about 3 minutes. Add bell peppers and mushrooms; saute until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Clear a space in the center of the skillet; add seasoned steak. Cook until surface of the steak starts to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Flip steak. Pour water into the skillet and cover with aluminum foil.
- Transfer skillet to the preheated oven and cook until steak pulls apart when pierced with a fork, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute vegetable stock for the water if preferred.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of the spice rub. The actual amount of spice rub consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 461 calories; 32 16 28.6 103 3175 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1