Fragrant Red Lentil and Rainbow Chard Soup
Carolyn LaLumiere Miller
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 240
- Soak lentils in a bowl with water to cover for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil and bouillon in a stockpot over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and curry powder into onion mixture. Cook and stir until onion is tender and browned, adding a few spoonfuls of vegetable broth if needed to prevent burning, about 10 minutes more.
- Drain lentils and stir into onion mixture with remaining broth; bring soup to a boil. Cover stockpot, reduce heat, and simmer until lentils are soft, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Trim chard leaves, stack together, and cut into 3/4-inch strips. Stir chard into soup and cook until softened, about 10 minutes more.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute vegetable broth with chicken broth, if desired.
Per Serving: 240 calories; 3 39.2 14.6 0 556 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
This was super yummy. I followed the recipe very closely. I couldn't find coriander at the store and misread the recipe and only bought one container of veggie broth so added filled up the conta...
This soup is simple but truly AMAZING! I substituted green lentils as it is what I had on hand and also halved the recipe. Smelled delicious from the instant I put the spices on the onions and d...
This recipe is excellent as written. I have varied it with red lentils and green lentils for a bit of a different texture. I always cook the stems (chopped) in with the onion as one reviewer sug...
This is the recipe I've been looking for! I love the taste of lentil soup in cans, but am trying to get away from the unhealthy sodium level and preservatives. This was easy & delicious! I use...
This soup is delicious, nutritious, and easy to make. I am always on the lookout for recipes using Swiss Chard since I have a lot in the garden. This was great! I will make it again!