Fragrant Red Lentil and Rainbow Chard Soup
Carolyn LaLumiere Miller
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 240
- Soak lentils in a bowl with water to cover for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil and bouillon in a stockpot over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir garlic, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and curry powder into onion mixture. Cook and stir until onion is tender and browned, adding a few spoonfuls of vegetable broth if needed to prevent burning, about 10 minutes more.
- Drain lentils and stir into onion mixture with remaining broth; bring soup to a boil. Cover stockpot, reduce heat, and simmer until lentils are soft, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Trim chard leaves, stack together, and cut into 3/4-inch strips. Stir chard into soup and cook until softened, about 10 minutes more.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute vegetable broth with chicken broth, if desired.
Per Serving: 240 calories; 3 39.2 14.6 0 556 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 11
This was super yummy. I followed the recipe very closely. I couldn't find coriander at the store and misread the recipe and only bought one container of veggie broth so added filled up the conta...
This soup is simple but truly AMAZING! I substituted green lentils as it is what I had on hand and also halved the recipe. Smelled delicious from the instant I put the spices on the onions and d...
The seasonings are perfect as written. Like others, I did add the swiss chard stems and I had some mushrooms I needed to use so I added them. The soup was, to my surprise, very delicious! The se...
Added potatoes, carrots, and corn and it was delicious!! This goes into my handwritten book of saved recipes.
I've made this recipe probably 6 or 7 times now, and it was a staple for me during college. It's delicious! It it definitely a soup that tastes better the next day. It is good as is, I just tast...
This recipe is excellent as written. I have varied it with red lentils and green lentils for a bit of a different texture. I always cook the stems (chopped) in with the onion as one reviewer sug...